C-ing Christ
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
I'm currently reading through The Purpose Driven Life and today's topic was something that struck a chord with me. I know, I know...I should be studying but I really feel like sharing with you guys what I learned today. Disclaimer: This is my first time writing out my thoughts on a blog so it feels weird and thus if I've said anything wrong or sounds funny please forgive me :) Also, I think this post might be quite long.Today I learned about cultivating community (fellowship). What does fellowship means? A time where we catch up with each other? Find out what's going on in his/her life? Chit-chatting over makan? According to Rick Warren, fellowship is much deeper than that. He wrote that real fellowship 'is so much more than just showing up at services' (or meetings, or cgs!) and that it is about 'experiencing life together'. To experience life with each other we have to be involved in each other's life: ministering to each other, encouraging each other, serving each other. In the New Testament, the phrase 'one another' or 'each other' is used over fifty times. Obviously, the Bible place emphasis on living our life with other people, not cocooned in a self-imposed shell.
Rick Warren laid down 9 characteristics of a growing, genuine, real fellowship:
Authenticity-sharing our true feelings
Mutuality-encourage each other
Sympathy-support each other
Mercy-forgive each other
Honesty-speak the truth in love
Humility-admit our weaknesses
Courtesy-respect our differences
Confidentiality-not gossip
Frequency-make group a priority (meeting up regularly and frequently!)
A few of the characteristics seemed more prominent to me. One of them is honesty. Being honest means that we are not afraid to be frank and to speak up if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Another is mutuality. I think that each and everyone of us needs constant encouragement and reassurance so let us not be lacking in encouragement for each other! And lastly, frequency. I'm glad that our CG makes effort to meet every week even when there are so few of us. Even when we thought that not many will show up during the holidays or because of activities, by the grace of God, quite a number still find time to come. It is really encouraging to see this group of Christians who are committed in learning more about God together and at the same time to help each other grow in their own personal relationship with God. I'm really glad that I got to know all of you :)
Also, if I may add, we should be accountable to one another. I think that being accountable to someone whom I trust really helps me grow and keeps me on the right track because I know there is someone who watches over me and gives me less inclination to fall away from my resolution and principles. And finally, Rick Warren wrote that fellowship requires an investment of time and commitment. I couldn't agree with him more. I really want to encourage all of us (me included!) to be willing each day to sacrifice part of our time for each other, even if it's just spending time listening. Let's make our CG a real, genuine fellowship!
Ok...sermon is over...hahaha...I hope what I just wrote helped all of you, even a little bit. At the same time, I would like to invite all of you to hold me accountable: that I try to put into practice what I'd learned.
All the best for your coming papers, and I pray that God will keep all of you healthy during this stressful period
love, esther
12:15 PM
C-ing Christ
C-ing Christ
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home